TIL about vector apps for Mac
Today I spent too much time researching vector apps for macOS.
🏃♂️ The contenders
- 🖋️ Inkscape. Free. Failed to load on my Mac. I rather pay for something that works.
- 🔲 Pixelmator. Already on my mac. I like it for pixel work. I tolerate the way panels are arranged. After years of use, I still don’t understand how effects are organized or even work.
- 📏 Vectormator. Tried for a few days. Really liked it. It slowed down to a crawl when I imported a complex SVG file that the rest of the apps managed easily.
- ⚛️ Figma. Has somewhat of a free tier (otherwise subscriptions). It supports a path to React components which seemed very handy. I liked the idea of vector networks for drawing. Uses Electron for its desktop application, which means that something as common as app menus are managed in a totally unique way. Performance seemed Ok. Export of SVG doesn’t support layers which seemed like a terrible shortcoming.
- ✏️ Affinity Designer. I used it on my iPad. Liked the vector manipulation tools. Performant. Has desktop and iOS apps that have just been redesigned. One-time buy, no subscription. Seems like a winner.
🍾 The winner (for now)
- 🏆 Affinity Designer.